TGTN17 Entrepreneurship and new business development
Course aim and learning outcomes
The purpose of the course is for students to develop knowledge and abilities within the field of entrepreneurship, with particular focus on the formulation and evaluation/qualification of ideas for entrepreneurial ventures.
The learning outcomes is that students after the course should
- be able to describe, compare and take a position on different images of entrepreneurship
- be able to reflect on what entrepreneurship can be within their own technological field
- be able to give an account of the things required to establish an entrepreneurial venture
- be able to give an account of the information and analyses required to evaluate an idea for an entrepreneurial venture and have some ability to collect and analyse relevant information for that purpose
- have some ability to communicate a business idea proposal orally and in writing
The requirements for participating in lectures and examination in semester 7.
UPG1 Project work and assignments (pass/fail) 6 ECTS credits
Grades are given ass Pass or Fail. To pass the course, students are required to get a Pass on all assignments and to attend mandatory lectures and seminars.
The course is organised in terms of lectures and seminars, where theories of entrepreneurship are mixed with, and illustrated by, practical examples, the experiences of our guest lecturers and student practices. Group assignments and individual assignments support learning.
The course is organised in three themes:
- What is entrepreneurship? Students are faced with different perspectives on entrepreneurship and are allowed to form their own opinion of what entrepreneurship may be.
- Entrepreneurship as the establishment of new ventures. What is an entrepreneurial venture? What organisational forms can an entrepreneurial venture take? What is the objective of an entrepreneurial venture? What is required for an entrepreneurial venture to stand on its own feet? How are entrepreneurial ventures financed?
- Idea feasibility analysis. The process from idea to business plan. The business plan as a tool to plan and develop entrepreneurial ventures. How to write an idea PM and a prestudy. The prestudy details. How to present a business idea.
- Collection of scientific papers.
- Klofsten, M. (1998/2002): Affärsplattformen: Entreprenören och företagets första år. SNS Förlag, Stockholm.
- McKinsey (1998): Från idé till företag. Affärsplanering för framgång. McKinsey & Company, Göteborg och Stockholm.
- Casedescriptions, journal papers, handouts etc.
- Landström, H. (1999/2000/2005): Entreprenörskapets rötter. Studentlitteratur, Lund. (Background reading)
Last updated: Mon Dec 14 16:26:34 CET 2009