- Tech. Licentiate, Environmental System Analysis and Environmental Management, 2010. Linköping University. Thesis Title: "Industrial Symbiosis for the Development of Biofuel Production."
- Master of Science, Sustainable Development and Technology, 2007. Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan (Royal Institute of Technology). Stockholm, Sweden.
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, 2005. Michigan Technological University. Houghton, Michigan, USA.
Synergies for Improved Environmental Performance of 1st Generation Biofuels for Transportation
The research entails discovering flows of goods, materials and energy in biofuel production processes, as well as external industries, and findings means to use by-products, products and other flows with synergies and industrial symbiosis.
The overall aim of this project is to contribute to the development for improving the performance of production systems for biofuels for transportation from food crops and waste.
Biofuel Development in Tanzania
Michael has also been involved in a project concerning biodiesel development for the country of Tanzania. The study was a feasibility study of the infrastructure, processes, collaboration, shareholders and technology needed to implement biodiesel production for this African nation.
Biofuels for Transport: Course Webpage (Lectures and Other Info)
- Martin, M., Svensson, N. Eklund, M. (2012). Who gets the benefits? An Approach to Assess the Environmental Performance of Industrial Symbiosis. Greening of Industry 2012 Conference Paper.
- Martin, M., Svensson, N., Eklund, M., Fonseca, J. (2012) Production Synergies in the Biofuel Industry: An Inventory and Analysis. Biofuels Volume 3, Issue 5, Pages 545–554.
- Martin, M., Svensson, N., Fonseca, J., Eklund, M. (2011) Quantifying the Environmental Performance of Integrated Bioethanol and Biogas Production. Chosen for Special Issue in Renewable Energy from the World Renewable Energy Congress, 2011.
- Martin, M., Svensson, N., Fonseca, J. (2011) Assessing the Environmental Performance of Integrated Ethanol and Biogas Production. Conference Paper, World Renewable Energy Congress 2011, Linköping, Sweden.
- Martin, M and Eklund, M. (2011) Improving the Environmental Performance of Biofuels with Industrial Symbiosis. Biomass and Bioenergy, Volume 35, Issue 5, Pages 1747-1755.
- Martin, M. (2010) Industrial Symbiosis for the Development of Biofuel Production. Licentiate Thesis. LIU-TEK-LIC-2010:12.
- Martin, M. and Fonseca, J. (2010). A Systematic Literature Review of Biofuel Synergies. ISRN: LIU-IEI-R--10/0092--SE.
- Martin, M. (2009) Biogas and Renewable Fuel Consumption: 2008 Figures for Linköping and Östergötland
- Martin, M., Ivner, J., Svensson, N., Eklund, M. (2009) Classification of Industrial Symbiosis Synergies: Application in the Biofuels Industry. Conference Paper, Greening of Industry 2009, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Martin, M., Mwakaje, A.G., Eklund, M. (2009) Biofuel development initiatives in Tanzania: development activities, scales of production and conditions for implementation and utilization. Journal of Cleaner Production Volume 17, Supplement 1, Pages S69-S79, Special Issue.
- Biofuel Synergy Development: Classification and Identification of Synergies using Industrial Symbiosis- LiU Report Number: LIU-IEI-R--09/0063--SE
- Renewable Energy Use in Transportation for Östergötland in 2008
- Literature Review of Biofuel Synergies. LiU Report Number: LIU-IEI-R--10/0092--SE.
- Biogasification of Linköping
- Östergötland's Biofuel System: Using Large Technical Systems Analysis and Industrial Symbiosis to Produce Synergies for Future Economical and Environmental Benefits
Master Theses Supervised
- Nyarko Kofi Ampaw- Assessing the Environmental Impacts Associated with a System Where a Co-product (Thin Stillage) from Ethanol Production is Extended to Biogas Production, 2012.
- Aminibas Parsapour- Biogas Production System as an Upcycling Tenant- An Economic Evaluation and Exergy Analysis, 2012.
Surendrapabu Rangaraju- Quantifying the Environmenatal Performance of Integrated Bioethanol and Biogas Production, 2012.
Jorge Enrique Fonseca Aguirre- Assessing the Environmental Impacts of Synergies between the Ethanol and the Biogas Industries, 2010.
Love Fritjofsson & Per Heikne- Life Cycle Analysis of Public Transportation in Östergötland, Sweden, 2010.
Simon Carlsson & Marcus Carlsson-Industriell Symbios Bioenergi: Lokalisering och samverkans betydelse för lönsamheten av biodieselproduktion, 2010.
Manuel Usandizaga Coll- Combined Small-scale Production of Biogas and Biodiesel: Study of Viability in the Spanish Scenario, 2009.
Jafer Zeeshan- Biofuels and hybrid technologies in vehicle development and market: Interaction & Innovation in Sustainable Vehicles, 2009.
Dario Accorso- Feasibility Assessment for Using Waste Vegetable Oil as a Feedstock for Biodiesel Production in Sicily, 2008.
- Mike's Licentiate Thesis Presentation. Be patient as the file is quite large, so let it load before fully viewing it.
Lectures in Other Courses
Project Posters & Promo Info
- Biofuel Project Informational Brochure
- Original Project Poster
- Synergies Classification Method Poster -ISIE Conference 2009 (Lisbon, Portugal)
Phone: +46 (0)13 28 11 32
A-huset, entrance 15-17, level 3, corridor A, room 3A:906
Department of Management
581 83 Linköping
Environmental Technology and Management conducts multidisciplinary and environmentally oriented research on products, services, technical systems and organizations from a systems perspective.
Research and doctoral studies at Linköping university is conducted within four faculties: Arts and Sciences, Educational Sciences, Science and Engineering and Health Sciences.
Last updated: 2013-02-25